English translation

doc_150

Terror Attacks in Russia

  • Guerrillas twice crossed the Chechen border and seized villages in the southern Russian region of Dagestan.
  • The location of the second explosion outlined the breadth of the zone that terrorists might choose. One officer of an anti-terrorist unit said hopelessly: "Although organizing a comprehensive search for bombs across Moscow is extremely difficult, it is theoretically possible. Organizing such a hunt across one-sixth of the world is equivalent in difficulty and expense to a flight to Mars."

Theories on the Attacks

  • The location of this bomb also serves to support one of the most compelling theories regarding those behind the attacks.
  • On the night of last Sunday, after three serious explosions in less than two weeks:
    • The explosion in the shopping arcade at Manege, near the Kremlin, which killed one and injured 40.
    • The bomb that destroyed a military housing building in Buynaksk, Dagestan, killing 64 people.
    • The explosion of an apartment building in Moscow on Guryanova Street, which killed 94 people.
  • A respectable commentator on the situation in Chechnya, Vyacheslav Izmailov, stated on national television that he knows who arranged the explosions.
  • If he is to be believed, he confirms the widespread suspicion that the terrorism was organized by Chechen extremists.

Alleged Conspiracy

  • Sources in Chechnya told Izmailov that about 30 people were recruited by Khattab in Chechnya on August 18—exactly after he and Chechen commander Shamil Basayev suffered a temporary defeat in Dagestan.
  • They were divided into two teams, and each person was offered $50,000 for participating in the bombing of targets in Moscow, Dagestan, Saint Petersburg, and Rostov-on-Don.
  • Each team was given several hundred thousand dollars to buy what they needed and to rent premises to hide explosives there.
  • A more detailed description of the alleged conspiracy and information about its sources was handed over to the FSB.

Aftermath and Investigations

  • The morning after Izmailov's revelations, another apartment building in Moscow was wiped off the face of the earth, again in a faceless working-class suburb of the capital, killing 118 people—almost everyone inside the house.
  • By the end of the week, the police had achieved significant results:
    • A huge Mercedes truck used to bring in more than 11 tons of explosives was discovered.
    • Two large secret caches of explosives, believed to be from the same source, were found.
    • In one Moscow house, officers found 76 bags of dynamite, as well as several remote detonation devices.
  • Detectives suggested that this would have been enough for at least two more explosions somewhere in the capital.
  • A massive sweep conducted by the security services across the country led to 11,000 arrests—most of which are not related to terrorism.
  • About 30 of those caught in this hunt are suspected of involvement in the bombs:
    • Timur Dakhkilgov, 32, and Bekmars Sautiev, 40, both natives of Chechnya, were arrested on suspicion of involvement of one kind or another.
    • To date, no formal charges have been brought against either.

Claims of Responsibility and Security Concerns

  • A previously unknown group called the Dagestan Liberation Army claimed responsibility—via an anonymous phone call—for the explosions in Moscow and Buynaksk, but there is a hypothesis that it does not actually exist and was used by those who bear actual responsibility to divert suspicion from themselves.
  • There is a real fear that Russia's dramatically weakened security services are unable to cope with the task of identifying those behind the terror campaign.
  • Sergei Goncharov, a former high-ranking officer of the elite Russian anti-terrorist corps "Alpha," told the "Observer" newspaper that the constant reform of Russia's anti-terrorist units, along with chronic underfunding since the collapse of the USSR, has made it very difficult for them to perform even routine operations.
  • He stated: "Without agents and paid informants, you cannot prevent explosions. But Russia's security services are not well enough funded, and the powerful network of KGB informants and agents no longer exists."
  • President Yeltsin's administration has contacted Ireland, Israel, America, and Great Britain over the past week, asking for help from experts who have dealt with this branch of terrorism.
  • Prime Minister Vladimir Putin gave government agencies three days to come up with plans to strengthen security in the transport system, communications, power stations, and residential areas.
  • At the end of the week, he actually backed down, and that was all the government could do, and he called on citizens to protect themselves.